Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gloria's Miracle

It's late and I know I should be in bed, but I'm still too wound up from an amazing evening to go to sleep just yet. Tonight, Jerry Brewer (Seattle Times columnist) released his book, "Gloria's Miracle" -- a book about Gloria Strauss and her battle with neuroblastoma. For those of you who followed his story in The Seattle Times, you already know how amazing the story is and you will want to read this book. For those of you who don't know the story, trust me -- you need to read this book and you will probably finish a little better of a person than you were when you started reading!
You can find it here:http://www.amazon.com/Glorias-Miracle-Jerry-Brewer/dp/0970739974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252476760&sr=8-1

My wife and I got to know Gloria about three years ago when she went with a bunch of us on a winter trip to Wisconsin. She caught our attention immediately, shining bright and standing out as a leader among her peers. She was gentle yet vivacious, outspoken but respectful. She was beautiful - and glorious. Less than a year later, we heard that she might not make it. We never got to see her again, but she touched us so profoundly in the few days that we were able to spend with her that we will never forget her.

Since then, Rachel and I have gotten to know her family (they are awesome) and we are on the board of directors for the charity her dad, Doug, started after she passed away. It's called Gloria's Angels, appropriately named as they activate communities around families dealing with terminal illnesses. If you want to check it out, you can find more information on Gloria's Angels at: www.gloriasangels.org. They are always looking for support and volunteers!

Anyway, tonight was the book release for Gloria's Miracle and I was invited to sing a song that my wife and I wrote called, "Too Beautiful for this World" -- you can hear the song on my MySpace page, www.craigterrill.com. I love music and I love performing, but being able to sing for this event was even more special than performing at the coolest rock concert could possibly be.

I can't help but watch the clock so I know I've got to go finish studying film for this week's game and then climb into bed. I hope you're all having a great week

TODAY'S TOUCHDOWN: Seeing the smiles on Kristen's and Doug's faces (Gloria's parents) as they saw how many people came out to support Jerry's book and to celebrate their daughter's life. It was awesome to see that they're doing so well.

1 comment:

  1. Craig,

    It was great to see you and Journey at the Book Launch on Tuesday night. It was touching to see you juggling your fatherly duties with your other responsibilities - hand off your daughter to go on stage and perform your beautiful song! I love that song and there is something very blessed when you perform it live.

    The entire evening was very special. Jerry has written an inspiring book and I hope many people will read it and be touched by it. God started a powerful work through Gloria, and that mission continues through the rest of us that saw her witness.

    Congratulations again on making the team (really enjoyed your previous post). Best wishes this weekend for you and your teammates as you take the field against the Rams!

    ReplyDelete